skip to navigationskip to main content

Do you need to complete a Self-Assessment tax return this year?

Posted 18/08/2023

If you have had a change in circumstances, you might need to complete your first Self-Assessment tax return for the 2022 to 2023 tax year.

You may need to complete a tax return if you:

  • Are newly self-employed and have earned more than £1,000
  • Have multiple sources of income
  • Have received any untaxed income, for example earning money for creating online content
  • Earn more than £100,000 a year
  • Earn income from property that they own and rent out
  • Are a new partner in a business partnership
  • Are claiming Child Benefit and you or your partner have income above £50,000
  • Receive interest from banks and building societies (more than £10,000)
  • Receive dividends in excess of £10,000
  • Need to pay Capital Gains Tax
  • Are self-employed and earn less than £1,000 but wish to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily to protect their entitlement to State Pension and certain benefits

You can use the free online checking tool on GOV.UK and register with HMRC by 5 October if you need to self-assess.

For further updates, please follow us at:

Linked In


Subscribe to our newsletter

Our monthly newsletter contains a round up of the latest tax news and updates of what's happening at Hammond McNulty

As a subscriber you will automatically receive our newsletter direct to your inbox

Please read our Privacy Policy before signing up